Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Monday, June 5, 2017

Monday Morning Rant

I try to make my posts light, entertaining. But not today.

First, my heart goes out to the people affected by the terrorists’ acts in the UK. As I write this, “breaking news” just announced multiple fatalities in Orlando. How can these vicious horrors happen? When will we feel safe again?

I shouldn’t watch the news. It is so upsetting. Do I play the ostrich and bury my head in the sand? At times, yes. I felt the same way in the early 1970s when the Viet Nam war and Nixon’s Watergate dominated the news.

I’d rather read or watch movies. Or work on my new story. But how can I concentrate with the news proclaiming one horrific “breaking news” after another? That sounds selfish. And it probably is. How many times can we get upset over terrorists (foreign and domestic) before we become inured to the horrifying news? Until we turn off the news so we don’t hear it?

Yet, I wonder how many people like me feel like we can do nothing to change things. Our representatives and senators who are supposed to be servants of the people don’t listen to us. They’re too busy planning the next election or obeying lobbyists instead of their constituents. They don’t work a full year, they give themselves raises (yet deny raises to social security), they give themselves lifetime pensions and phenomenal healthcare. They need to give us their healthcare programs or live on what they devise for us.

In what world, do you get a pension and free healthcare after you’ve been fired? Our leadership dares to call social security and medicare entitlements. They are the ones with the entitlements.

Okay, that’s my tirade for the day. I really do need to get back to my work-in-progress.

On a lighter note: the Arizona trips are at an end. Our son and his family are moving here at the end of this month. All my children and grandchildren will be living in the same town as we do for the first time since the mid-1990s. Can’t wait for them to get here.



5 comments:

  1. I can relate Diane. Though I don't live in the US, I see the horror and hate on the news, and it breaks my heart. We don't watch the news as often as we used to, preferring to watch old episodes of AFV on YouTube.

    It must be super exciting with your family all coming back to the same area. Always nice to hear GOOD news. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting for us to have them all together. I hear you about watching the news. I feel like I should know what's going on, but it's so depressing. Thanks for chiming in, Jess.

      Delete
  2. Amen to everything you wrote. I dread turning on the TV each day because I'm sure innocent people somewhere in the world have been slaughtered needlessly by terrorist thugs. My heart breaks for the victims and their families and for this generation's children who are growing up in an unsafe world gone mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children today are growing up with a constant threat. Instead of fire and tornado drills, they practice lock-ins and what to do if a terrorist (anyone with a weapon) comes into their school. I know it's necessary, but the nightmares this must cause is horrific.

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited for you to have your family nearby. It makes every day special. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.